I have been on a real avocado kick lately. I know I have said before that I could eat an avocado every day and this is just another example of avocado love. The orange and cucumber work really well with the avocado. The salad is light and refreshing and perfect for a warm summer day (which we are not having in case you were wondering), and easy on the calories.
- ½ teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium orange peeled and supremed or segmented (see note)
- 1 small cucumber peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 medium avocado peeled and diced
- Salad greens
- Dressing: Place orange zest, orange juice, olive oil, white wine vinegar, mustard and salt and pepper in a blender and blend to combine.
- Salad: In a small bowl place orange slices, cucumber, and avocado and dressing, mix to combine. Place salad greens on 4 salad plates, top with orange and avocado mixture.
To segment or supreme an orange (or other citrus) start by peeling the fruit, being sure to remove all of the white stuff. Hold the fruit in one hand and with the other wielding a very sharp knife over a bowl to catch the juice, cut into the fruit as close to the separating membrane as you can on one side of the fruit segment then do the same on the other. The fruit segment should fall out at this point. Continue to cut near the membrane until the whole fruit is segmented. Squeeze the remaining membrane ball to get out any of the remaining juice.